Khakalaki Farm is located on the former site of “Camp Cofitachiqui” Girl Scout camp. Many locals recall camping there or helping build the camp. The Girl Scouts purchased the property in 1956 with funds provided by the Phelps Foundation, endowed by the founder of Aiken’s first Girl Scout troop in 1920, Claudia Phelps. Ms. Phelps was a contemporary of Juliette Gordon Lowe who founded the Girl Scouts.
Some former Girl Scouts and neighbors campaigned to save the campground in 2009 when the plans for the sale were first announced. In a 2009 “frequently asked questions” document, the Girl Scouts of SC (mountains to midlands) indicated that “through research, girls tell us the number one activity they look forward to has to do with the arts. Outdoor activities are high on their list, but they request adventures such as swimming and rock climbing. For overnight camps, rather than rustic camping, they want features such as heat, air conditioning, updated bathrooms and dining halls.” This information and the infrastructure funding requirements, led to the sale of this GS camp in 2010. Several other camps were sold for similar reasons. Many marked trails, features such as bridges, and other structures built by the GS remain.